Below is a timeline and history of mechanical keyboards, spanning the last 70 years from 1953 to 2021.
- Cherry Corporation is founded by Walter Cherry in the basement of a restaurant in Highland Park, Illinois, USA.
- Cherry opens its first European operation center in West Germany.
- Tai-Hao is founded in Panchiao city, Taiwan
- Cherry moves from USA to Bayreuth, Germany.
- Cherry begins producing keyboards.
- Cherry establishes a joint venture with Hirose Cherry Precision Company in Kawaski, Japan.
- Cherry introduces its first keyboard line.
- The Cherry MX switch is introduced.
- IMB begins production of IMB Model M keyboards, bundled with new IMB computers.
- Ducky is founded in Taiwan.
- Ducky releases their first limited edition Year of the Zodiac keyboard - Year of the Tiger 2010.
- Razer releases the first mechanical gaming keyboard, the Razer BlackWidow.
- Tai-Hao produce Cherry MX doubleshot keycaps.
- Cherry becomes an independant company as Cherry Group.
- Razer releases Razer Yellow linear switches.
- Razer releases Razer Opto-Mechanical Clicky and Linear switches.